Tired of your same old, same old breakfast? Love oats - especially steel cut - and all of the nutritional value they provide but don't have the time to cook them? Me too. I've got you covered. And this is no boring oats and brown sugar breakfast...
Choose your oats - Can't decide between old-fashioned rolled oats and steel cut oats? Use both! I usually make a half and half combo - makes the oats creamy AND chewy!
Soak - First, soak rather than cook your oats. Like them super chewy like I do? Soak for a couple of hours. Prefer them softer? Soak overnight. You can soak your oats in any combination of the following (try all three mixed together!):
- Milk - soy, almond, cow's, rice, etc.
- Yogurt - try plain nonfat greek for extra protein and creaminess
Add in's - Once the oats have soaked to your liking, add any or all of the following:
- ANY fresh fruit (and/or frozen defrosted berries)
- Nuts and/or nut butter and/or powdered nut butter (such as PB2)
- Protein powder (such as Sun Warrior)
- Cinnamon and any other spice you like
- A little bit of crunchy cereal like granola or bran cereal for extra texture and fiber
Mix and enjoy! - Stir it all up and prepare yourself for a hearty, delicious, nutrient-packed breakfast. Enjoy!
Allegra Burton, MPH, RDN
Nutrition with Allegra
Chapel Hill, NC