Do you find yourself hungry for a snack between meals but really never sure what a good, healthy snack choice might be for you? Read on.
Snacks – just like meals – should ideally include lean protein and healthy fats along with fiber to help you feel satisfied. Throw in some fresh fruit and/or veggies and you’re in business.
Here are some snack ideas to try on for size:
- Plain, nonfat greek yogurt with fresh fruit and a handful of nuts
- Raw veggies (cut-up carrots, peppers, cucumbers, cauliflower, etc.) with hummus
- Rice cake spread with almond butter and plain nonfat greek yogurt topped with sliced fruit and a sprinkle of cinnamon
- A hardboiled egg and some fruit or veggies
- 1/2 sweet potato (works well with cold leftover sweet potato) with a smear of almond butter and plain nonfat greek yogurt (delish!)
- Lettuce roll: roll a slice of turkey and a slice of light cheese in a big leaf of romaine lettuce
- Mini pita bread with hummus and veggies
- Whole grain crackers (like Mary’s Gone Crackers, Ak Mak, etc.) with light cheese and some fruit or veggies
- Mini quesadilla: microwave small corn tortilla with shredded light cheese and spinach leaves or other veggie
And stay tuned for more delicious, healthy snack and meal ideas!
Allegra Burton, MPH, RDN
Nutrition with Allegra
Chapel Hill, NC